Please click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- What Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Information
- Who We Share Your Information With
- Social Media
- Security of Your Personal Information
- Third Party Content and Links To Third Party Websites
- Public Areas, Forums, Reviews, and Community Areas
- Governing Law
- Rights With Respect To Your Personal Information
- Transfer of Your Personal Information to the U.S.
- How To Opt-Out of Email Newsletters
- Your California Privacy Rights
- How To Contact Us
What Information We Collect About You
The information collected when you interact with our Sites falls into two categories: (1) Personal information you voluntarily provide such as your name, address, email address, and credit card number; and (2) non-personal information collected through technology, which includes tracking information collected by us as well as third parties.
Personal Information You Provide Directly To Us:
We may ask you to provide your personal information, demographic information or information about your preferences or interests when you:
- Register for an account on the Sites
- Sign up to receive email newsletters from us
- Make a purchase on the Sites
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes
- Participate in surveys or special promotions
- Participate on social media accounts involving our authors, books or brands
- Participate in communities or forums on the Sites
- Submit user generated content on any part of the Sites that permit it
- Knowingly volunteer information on any other part of the Sites (e.g., request for customer service, submit a job application)
Non-Personal Information Collected Using Technology:
In addition to any information you provide directly to us, we and our third party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain tracking information when you interact with the Sites or emails sent to you. By using our Sites, you consent to our use of tracking technologies as described below:
We may collect certain information about your computer or other device that you use to access the Sites, including IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
We may log certain information about your use of the Sites (e.g., log files, clickstream data, a reading history of the pages you view, your search terms and search results) and additional “traffic data” (e.g., time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, referring website addresses).
Some of our Sites may deliver content based on your current location if you choose to enable that feature of the Site (e.g., enabling location tracking settings on your mobile device or browser). If you enable the location-based feature, your current location will be stored locally on your device, which will then be used by the Site. If you elect to have a location-based search saved to your history, we will store that information on our servers. If you do not enable the location-based service, or if a Site does not have that feature, the Site will not transmit to us, and we will not collect or store, location information.
Cookies, Web Beacons, Local Storage and Other Similar Technologies
A “cookie” is a small text file stored on your computer or other device when you visit certain web pages that record your preferences and actions. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. However, please note that refusing a cookie may limit your access to or use of the Sites. Please click here for more information about managing cookies. We work with third parties to provide us with analytics reports about your usage of our Sites using cookies or similar technologies. To opt out of Adobe analytics, please click here. To opt out of Google Analytics, please click here.
A “web beacon” (also known as an “action tag”, “tracer tag”, or “single-pixel GIF”) is an invisible graphic that is programmed only to collect information about your use of our Sites or emails sent to you. Web beacons may be used for a number of purposes, including counting visitors to the Sites, monitoring how users navigate the Sites, counting how many emails were opened or how many links were viewed, and providing you with content customized to your interests.
We may use local storage objects such as “HTML5” (the language some websites are coded in) to store information on your computer or device about your Site usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Sites are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and to customize them for our users.
A “flash cookie” is a data file placed on your device via the Adobe Flash plug-in, which may be built-in or downloaded by you to your computer or other device. Flash cookies may be used for various purposes, such as enabling a Flash feature and remembering your preferences. If you choose to adjust your Flash privacy settings in your device, some features of the Sites may not function properly. For more information about the privacy choices Adobe offers, click here.
California Do Not Track Notice
Some browsers offer a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. We do not respond to these “Do Not Track” signals.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we learn about you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience with PRH. We may use your personal information and non-personal information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the products and services you request
- Post your user generated content to our Sites as you request
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features on our Sites
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Send you newsletters, offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by email or another medium
- Personalize content and experiences on our Sites and within emails sent to you, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
- Serve you targeted advertising, both on our Sites and elsewhere online, based on information we previously collected from you, including your activity on the Sites or activity on third party sites and applications
- Administer our loyalty programs
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites and recipients of our emails, including browsing and purchasing patterns
- Send-a-friend communications (in these cases, we only use the friend’s email address to send the friend the email or card – we do not store the friend’s email address for any longer than reasonably necessary to send the email or card to the friend)
Combination of Your Information
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both personal information and non-personal information, and use such information along with information collected from other sources (including third parties), such as demographic information and updated contact information. We or our third party service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of the Sites, our emails, and our other campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate. We may also use and/or combine information we collect off-line or from third party sources to check the accuracy of, enhance and supplement your user records, and to better customize your experience with PRH.
Who We Share Your Information With
Third Party Service Providers
We have third party service providers that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, billing, marketing, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their functions and they are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that personal information. They are obligated not to use, sell, distribute or alter this information in any way other than to provide the requested services to the Sites.
Third Parties With Whom We Do Business
Authors Whose Websites We Manage
Corporate Parents and Affiliates
We may share your personal information with our corporate parents and other affiliated entities for a variety of purposes, including business, operational and marketing purposes.
Other Third Parties When Required By Law or In Emergency Situations
We may also use or disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Sites; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Sites or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the Sites or the public.
Our Sites may provide you with the ability to register, log into, “like” or otherwise interact with third party social media services, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and other social media services. These features may enable integration and/or access to your social media accounts. We do not control these social media services or your profiles on these services, and we do not establish privacy settings or rules for how your personal information on these services will be used. If you choose to log on to or submit information through any of these social media services, your personal information will be subject to the applicable social media service’s terms and conditions and your current privacy settings on such social media service. By accessing any social media service, you will be assuming the risk that the personal information you provide on that service may be viewed and/or used by third parties for any purpose. You agree that we are not responsible for any acts or omissions by these social media service providers.
What Information We Collect and How We Use It
We do not require children to share any personal information in order to participate on this Site. On occasion, however, we may collect personal information, such as an email address from a child as part of an activity, in accordance with COPPA. For example:
- Email address: We may collect a child’s email address in order to respond to a one-time request from the child, such as if the child asks us or one of our authors a question. In such case, we promptly delete the child’s email address from our system once we have responded, and we do not use the child’s email address for any other purpose.
- Send-a-friend: In the case of send-a-friend email or card, we only collect a child’s first name and the friend’s email address to send the friend the email or card. We do not store the friend’s email address for any longer than reasonably necessary to send the email or card to the friend.
- Email newsletters: We may collect a child’s email address if the child wishes to sign up for our email newsletters. In such instance, the child will be asked to provide his or her email address and the email address of his or her parent/guardian. We will send the child’s parent/guardian a notification email informing them of the child’s request to receive the newsletter by email on an ongoing basis and give the parent/guardian the option to have his or her child’s information removed from our newsletter database. If the newsletter is declined, we will not send the newsletter and will delete any related personal information collected in the sign-up process from our files. If the newsletter is not declined, we will send the newsletter. All newsletters contain instructions so that the recipient may unsubscribe at any time.
- Contests or Sweepstakes: We may collect a child’s email address to enter the child in a sweepstakes or contest or to notify the child that he or she has won or lost a contest or sweepstakes or contest. We will not keep the child’s email address after the promotion or use the child’s email address for any other purpose other than for the promotion. For certain promotions, we may ask that a child give us his/her parent’s email address so we can obtain more personalized information for prize fulfillment purposes if the child wins the promotion or to notify the parent if we need more than the child’s email address to enter the child in the promotion. In the latter event, parents will be sent a notice along with instructions on how they may provide their consent for their child to participate in such promotion.
We may also collect anonymous information automatically from your child’s computer or device, such as the frequency with which the child visits our Site and the pages visited, to support the internal operations of the Site. We collect this information so we can understand and monitor usage of the Site, customize content on the Site and improve the performance of the Site. This information is collected using technologies such as cookies, web beacons, flash cookies and similar technologies. This information is not used to behaviorally target children and we do not permit behavioral targeting on any of our Sites that are directed to children.
Special Circumstances for Information Sharing and Security
We may share children’s personal information with “Third Party Service Providers” and “Other Third Parties When Required by Law” as disclosed above (see “Who We Share Your Information With”).
Under COPPA, you have the right to review and have any of your child’s information deleted from our records. You also have the right to tell us to stop collecting or using your child’s personal information. If you have questions concerning our information practices with respect to children, or if you would like to review, have deleted, or stop the further collection of your child’s personal information in connection with the transaction for which it was originally collected, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For tips on protecting your child’s privacy online, please see the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s brochure on this topic: www.onguardonline.gov.
Security of Your Personal Information
PRH takes reasonable steps to help protect and secure your personal information. However, please remember that no data storage or data transmission over the Internet, or by other means, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Thus, PRH cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Therefore, you understand, acknowledge and agree that you transmit your personal information to our Sites at your own risk.
Third Party Content and Links to Third Party Websites
Public Areas, Forums, Reviews, and Community Areas
Rights With Respect To Your Personal Information
Transfer of Your Personal Information To the U.S.
How To Opt-Out of Email Newsletters
You may always opt-out of receiving future commercial emails and newsletters from PRH. We provide you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving such communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the email you receive. You may also opt out of receiving further communications from us by sending us a message at email@example.com. Please note that your request not to receive unsolicited commercial emails from us will not apply to messages that you request or that are not commercial in nature. For example, we may contact you concerning any purchases you have made with us, even if you opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial messages.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of PRH who are California residents to request certain information regarding its disclosure of their personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This right applies to personal information collected offline.
How To Contact Us
Attn: Customer Service
Penguin Random House
New York, NY 10019
Penguin Group (USA)
When two missing teenage girls are found, a father’s nightmare has only begun… Learn more about David Bell's next... 2017-07-07 17:07:00
Penguin Group (USA)
Start reading the tale about Peter Pan and the friend who became his nemesis, a nemesis who may not be the blackhearted... 2017-07-05 21:07:15
Penguin Group (USA)
Shared from our friends at Penguin Random House! 2017-07-04 17:07:00
#YaThursday ???? RT for a chance to win #Wildcard by @Marie_Lu! @PenguinTeen #Sweepstakes NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. US…... 13 hours ago
Thanks for joining us today on #PenguinRecommends! We hope you love the book suggestions as much as we do! We'll be…... 1 day ago
Try reading LOVE AND RUIN by Paula McLain next! Find more here: https://t.co/IbQcbIUGB9 ???? #PenguinRecommends... 1 day ago
Penguin Books USA
Enter for a chance to win five Hardcover Classics beautifully illustrated by Anna Bond of !
One Grand Prize... 2015-10-06 19:10:37
Penguin Books USA
#1 –bestselling author Jan Karon returns—with the story readers have been waiting for!
Enter by... 2015-10-02 14:10:28