This powerful book integrates spiritual insights, current child-development theory, and, in their own words, the experiences of parents. It features advice on how to answer your child’s often difficult questions on everything from death to religious holidays to homelessness and includes lists of suggested books, music, and videos that will help you explore your own and your child’s spirituality.
Written in language that will touch the hearts of today’s mothers and fathers, Something More is a very different kind of parenting book, one that parents will keep and treasure.
—John Bradshw, author of Homecoming
“Jean Fitzpatrick has written a wise, loving, and very useful book. I recommend it.”
—Rabbi Harold Kushner, author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People and Who Needs God
1. The Journey BeginsHow Can I Be a Spiritual Nurturer?
2. “But I’m Not Really Religious…”
3. Spiritual Nurture for the Here and Now
4. Hope to Grow On
5. Not Alone: The Role of Community
How Does My Child Grow Spiritually?
6. As They Grow: The Spirituality of Early Childhood
7. Play Is a Child’s Prayer
8. Children and Our Sacred Earth
9. “Why Does God Make Bad People?” Responding to Hard Questions
10. The Road Ahead
Appendix: Books and Music for the Journey
Resources for Further Exploration