Based on Talk to Me Like I’m Someone You Love, described by Glamour.com as "the most crucial relationship advice book since Men Are from Mars," this card deck has the power to stop an argument dead in its tracks. Talk to Me Like I’m Someone You Love: Flash Cards For Real Life feature sixty-four written statements that hold the power to express what we wish we could say to the person we love, but for which we can’t find either the right words or the right tone in which to say them. On the back of each beautifully designed card are “field notes” from the author that explain when, why, and how to use the statement. These cards include statements such as:
- Right now, I don’t need a lecture. I need your love.
- I’m afraid to be real with you.
- When you are so intense, it’s hard to take in what might be valid about what you are saying.
- When you treat me this way, it feels like you don’t respect me. Is that true?
- We need a new perspective. Let’s take a break and each get clearer about what really matters here. Okay?
These flash cards, as well as the book on which they’re based, were first inspired by a particularly angry couples therapy session in which a wife’s unrelenting criticism of her husband was making him more and more emotionally withdrawn. Suddenly, Nancy Dreyfus found herself scribbling on a scrap of paper, “Talk to me like I’m someone you love,” and gesturing to the husband that he should hold it up. He did, and within seconds, the familiar power differential between the two shifted, and a gentler, more genuine connection emerged before all their eyes. Talk to Me Like I’m Someone You Love: Flash Cards For Real Life are a brilliant interactive relationship tool that can help couples stop arguing and begin healing.