1. A Brief History of the Reading Group in America
2. A Group of One’s Own Look at Your Goals Book Clubs with a View Cast of Characters How Big a Group? Recruiting Strategies What Do You Want to Read?
3. Standard Operating Procedures Where When How Long Next… Sources for Titles Guests Keeping in Touch
4. Chemistry Lessons The Right Book Don’t Be Scared of a Good Fight Do You Need a Presenter? “Doing” the Book Let the Discussion Wander – But Not Too Far Call in an Expert
5. Moveable Feasts Grazing, Salty or Sweet The Meal Deal Brown-Bag and Potluck Logistics Booze or Not? Special Occasions Great Book Meals
6. Troubleshooting Book Discussions Get Derailed Choosing What to Read Division in the Ranks Attendance Problems Adding and Subtracting Members Failure to Finish the Book Special Events When to Cut Your Losses
7. The Book Lists Top Ten Book Club Hits Books to Revel In Sure to Provoke Debate Unforgettable Individuals The Marriage Knot Parents and Children From a Child’s Perspective Gender Issues Gay and Lesbian Voices Aging Nobelists European Masters The Victorians There’ll Always Be an England Through Irish Eyes The New Englanders Songs of the South Writers from the Heartland Western Voices Latin American Masters Writers of Color Poetry Picks Nonfiction Picks Nature and the Environment Travelers Biography Memoirs Historical Fiction Read the Book, See the Movie