Book Club Sweepstakes
Enter by March 31, 2015 for the chance to win up to 10 copies of Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule by Jennifer Chiaverini!
The New York Times bestselling author of Mrs. Lincoln’s Dressmaker and Mrs. Lincoln’s Rival!
In 1844, Missouri belle Julia Dent met dazzling horseman Lieutenant Ulysses S Grant. Four years passed before their parents permitted them to wed, and the groom’s abolitionist family refused to attend the ceremony.
Since childhood, Julia owned as a slave another Julia, known as Jule. Jule guarded her mistress’s closely held twin secrets: She had perilously poor vision but was gifted with prophetic sight. So it was that Jule became Julia’s eyes to the world.
And what a world it was, marked by gathering clouds of war. The Grants vowed never to be separated, but as Ulysses rose through the ranks—becoming general in chief of the Union Army—so did the stakes of their pact. During the war, Julia would travel, often in the company of Jule and the four Grant children, facing unreliable transportation and certain danger to be at her husband’s side.
Yet Julia and Jule saw two different wars. While Julia spoke out for women—Union and Confederate—she continued to hold Jule as a slave behind Union lines. Upon the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, Jule claimed her freedom and rose to prominence as a businesswoman in her own right, taking the honorary title Madame. The two women’s paths continued to cross throughout the Grants’ White House years in Washington, DC, and later in New York City, the site of Grant’s Tomb.
Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule is the first novel to chronicle this singular relationship, bound by sight and shadow.
Follow Jennifer Chiaverini!
March 2015 Book Club Sweepstakes
Enter for a chance to win: A maximum of ten (10) copies of Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule by Jennifer Chiaverini for your book club (Approximate Retail Value up to $200.00). No purchase necessary. Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia age 18 or older. Sweepstakes begins March 2, 2015. Entries must be received no later than March 31, 2015, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time. Winner will be selected at random on or about April 10, 2015. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited by law.
Official Rules for the
March 2015 Book Club Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 or older.
How to Enter:
- To enter the March 2015 Book Club Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”), review these Official Rules and fill out the entry form, including your first and last name, number of members of your book club (maximum of ten), mailing address and email address. You may also opt-in to the Penguin newsletter. Sweepstakes begins March 2, 2015. Entries may be sent via this website only and must be received no later than March 31, 2015, 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Time. Limit one entry per person and per book club. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Penguin Online, a division of Penguin Group (USA) LLC (“Sponsor”). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries.
- Sponsor and its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Sweepstakes which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Sweepstakes. If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
- From all eligible entries received, one (1) winner will be chosen in a random drawing held on or about April 10, 205 by Sponsor, whose decisions concerning all matters related to this Sweepstakes are final and binding.
- Winner will be notified by email. The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
- One winning book club will receive a maximum of ten (10) copies of Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule by Jennifer Chiaverini (Approximate Retail Value up to $200.00).
- In the event that there is an insufficient number of eligible entries, Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prizes.
This Sweepstakes is open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in anyway involved in the development, production, or distribution of this Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No substitutions, transfers or assignments of prizes allowed. In the event of unavailability, Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any), related to receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Should the ARV of the prize equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or a Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form
- By accepting the prize, winner grants to Sponsor the right to use his/her name likeness, hometown and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, including posting on the Sponsor’s website, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. By entering this Sweepstakes and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and the agencies of any of them and the authors and/or editors of any books promoted hereby from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense arising out of or relating to participation in this Sweepstakes or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, ATTORNEYS’ FEES OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES.
- Any dispute arising from this Sweepstakes will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and by entering the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
To receive the winner’s name, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by September 5, 2015 to Penguin Online Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: March 2015 Book Club Sweepstakes Winner Information.
A division of Penguin Group (USA) LLC
375 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014