Congratulations on deciding to create a Book Club!
Follow this easy checklist to ensure that everything is completed so you can enjoy your book stress free.
Preparations for your Book Club
- Have a Book Club brainstorm. What kind of books would you like to read? How often will you hold meetings? Will you have a web based Book Club or will you meet face-to-face?
- How will your meetings be run? Will you be the leader? Will you share the responsibility with another or will you rotate who leads meetings?
- What type of books will you read; will you stick to one genre? Tips on choosing a book.
- How big or small of a book club do you want to create? What is the maximum number of people you can accommodate?
- Where, when and how will you hold Book Club meetings? Will they be hosted at someone’s home, in a public space, or online?
- Once all of this has been decided, invite members.
Starting a Book Club
- Coordinate with your members to set up a pre-Book Club meeting. Topics to discuss:
- Meeting time and place
- Create a meeting schedule
- How to run your meeting
- Select the first (or first series of) books
- Email your Book Club members to inform them of the following:
- Meeting schedule
- Confirm the date, time, and location of your next meeting
- Include contact information for all members (We suggest compiling this information on a Google Doc or on another web based location accessible to members.)
- Book choice
Before the First Meeting
- Finish reading your book (mark any interesting passages you might want to discuss.)
- Prepare discussion questions and/or book related activities
- Confirm the meeting location
- Send out a reminder notification to all members of the meeting time and place
- Prepare/buy snacks (if you want to munch on snacks during your discussion)
- Enjoy your first Book Club meeting!