Of Mice and Men: Teacher's Deluxe Edition
- Watch a video
John Steinbeck's tale of commitment, loneliness, hope, and loss is now an eBook enhanced with exclusive content for teachers, students, and group discussions, including twelve exclusive video clips for classroom discussions tied to questions included in the eBook, and an American Dream assignment.
Nobel Prize-winner John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men remains one of America's most widely read and taught novels. An unlikely pair, George and Lennie, two migrant workers in California during the Great Depression, grasp for their American Dream.
Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. For George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own. When they land jobs on a ranch in the Salinas Valley, the fulfillment of their dream seems to be within their grasp. But even George cannot guard Lennie from the provocations, nor predict the consequences of Lennie's unswerving obedience to the things George taught him.
Of Mice and Men: Teacher's Deluxe Edition includes the following:
- An introduction and suggested further reading by Susan Shillinglaw, a professor of English at San Jose State University and Scholar-in-Residence at the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas
- The poem "To a Mouse, On Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough, November 1785" by Robert Burns (the original source of Steinbeck's title Of Mice and Men)
- The 1962 Nobel Banquet Speech by John Steinbeck
- An exclusive audio interview with award-winning actor James Earl Jones on his stage performances in Of Mice and Men
- Twelve exclusive videos of students on major themes from the novel tied to group discussion questions included in the eBook, and an American Dream assignment, for the ultimate educational experience
- "To a Mouse, On Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough, November 1785" by Robert Burns (the original source of Steinbeck's title Of Mice and Men)
- 1962 Nobel Banquet Speech by John Steinbeck
- Penguin Classics Presents: Performing Of Mice and Men, a Conversation about the Steinbeck Classic with James Earl Jones
- Group Discussion Questions
- Video - Steinbeck in the Schools (3:35)
- The American Dream
- Video - What is the American Dream (1:27)
- Video - The Reality of the American Dream (1:14)
- Video - Lennie's Dream (1:23)
- Plot and Characters
- Video - George and Lennie (1:36)
- Video - Treatment of African Americans
- Video - Curley's Wife (1:48)
- Video - Ethics of Murder (1:26)
- Video - Loneliness (1:36)
- Video - Fate (1:26)
- Video - The Role of Slim (1:21)
- The Dream Board Assignment
- Video - Dream Board Project (2:28)
Sample Discussion Questions and Video
The American Dream
- What is the American Dream?
- Is the American Dream real? Does it exist?
- What is your view of the American Dream?
- Can you explain why your dream is what it is?
- Explain the mainstream media's view of the American Dream.
- What are your classmates' views?
- Why do your classmates and the rest of society have that view of the American Dream?
- Why do different people have different views?
- Is the American Dream available to all members/segments of society? Why or why not?
- Watch a video
Here's a sample eBook file (in ePub format) for this edition that you can download and load onto any device capable of displaying ePub files.