The Orphanmaster by Jean Zimmerman
From a debut novelist, a gripping historical thriller and rousing love story set in seventeenth-century Manhattan
It’s 1663 in the tiny, hardscrabble Dutch colony of New Amsterdam, now present-day southern Manhattan. Orphan children are going missing, and among those looking into the mysterious state of affairs are a quick-witted twenty-two-year-old trader, Blandine von Couvering, herself an orphan, and a dashing British spy named Edward Drummond.
Suspects abound, including the governor’s wealthy nephew, a green-eyed aristocrat with decadent tastes; an Algonquin trapper who may be possessed by a demon that turns people into cannibals; and the colony’s own corrupt and conflicted orphanmaster. Both the search for the killer and Edward and Blandine’s newfound romance are endangered, however, when Blandine is accused of being a witch and Edward is sentenced to hang for espionage. Meanwhile, war looms as the English king plans to wrest control of the colony.
Jean Zimmerman brings New Amsterdam and its surrounding wilderness alive for modern-day readers with exacting period detail. Lively, fast paced, and full of colorful characters, The Orphanmaster is a dramatic page-turner that will appeal to fans of Hilary Mantel and Geraldine Brooks.
The first one hundred (100) eligible entrants who fill out and submit the entry form below will receive an advance reading copy of The Orphanmaster, by Jean Zimmerman.
Entry period ends March 21, 2012, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time.
No purchase necessary.
Approximate Retail Value: = $5.00 each.
Open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories and possessions, age 18 or older.
Void where prohibited by law.
Scroll down for full Official Rules and an entry form.
Official Rules for the
The Orphanmaster Galley Giveaway
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Open to residents of the Fifty United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories and possessions, age 18 or older.
How to Enter:
- To enter The Orphanmaster Galley Giveaway (the “Giveaway”) read these Official Rules and fill out the online entry form. Include your first and last name, mailing address and email address. Entry for Giveaway begins March 20, 2012. Online entries may be sent to this website only and must be received no later than March 21, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (ET). Limit one entry per person. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Viking, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (“Sponsor”). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt. Only online entries will be accepted.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, inaccurate, illegible or misdirected entries.
- Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware, or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Giveaway which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Giveaway. If for any reason the Giveaway is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Giveaway. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
- . The first one hundred (100) eligible entrants whose entry forms are complete and are submitted to and received by Sponsor by March 21, 2012, 11:59:59 PM ET will win a prize. Winners will be determined by Sponsor, whose decisions concerning all matters related to this Giveaway are final and binding.
- Winners will receive a prize via postal mail. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received within the relevant time period.
- One hundred (100) winners will receive an advance reading copy of The Orphanmaster by Jean Zimmerman (Approximate Retail Value = $5.00).
- In the event that there is an insufficient number of entries, Sponsor reserves the right not to award any or all of the prizes. In the event of a tie or ties, the winner will be determined by a random drawing.
This Giveaway is open to residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories and possessions, age 18 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in anyway involved in the development, production, or distribution of this Giveaway, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Giveaway. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No substitutions, transfers or assignments of prizes allowed. In the event of unavailability, Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any) related to receipt and use of prize, are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Should the ARV of the prize equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or a Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
- By accepting a prize, winners grant to Sponsor the right to use their names, likenesses, hometowns and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials relating to the subject matter of this Giveaway, including posting on the Sponsor’s websites, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- By competing in this Giveaway and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies and the agencies of any of them and the authors or editors of any books promoted hereby from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense, arising out of or relating to participation in this Giveaway or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.
- Any dispute arising from this Giveaway will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
To receive a copy of the winners list, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by September 21, 2012 to Viking Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: The Orphanmaster Giveaway Winners List.
An imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
375 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014