If I Stay
“I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t be captivated by [this novel.] Gayle’s insight into teens and her exploration of the many facets of love and family are hard to forget.”–Family Circle
“The brilliance of the book is the simplicity.”–Wall Street Journal
In the blink of an eye, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterward, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces—to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, this book will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Now a major motion picture starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Mia’s story will stay with you for a long, long time.
1. After the initial tragedy, the reader learns more about Mia’s parents. What does Mia have in common with her father? Her mother? What type of role do Mia’s grandparents play in her life?
2. Mia has two important peer relationships in the story—with her best friend, Kim, and her boyfriend, Adam. Kim and Adam are distant with one another. Is Mia’s reaction to their coolness toward one another natural?
3. The themes of sacrifice and choice occur throughout the story and play out in several relationships. Is Mia’s father giving up his own music because of his children a sacrifice or a choice?
4. Kim says to Mia, “You still have a family.” What does this mean to you? What is a family?
5. Adam goes to desperate measures to see Mia for the first time after the accident and then stays only a few minutes before racing out. He returns later with some classical music and a headset he puts on Mia. What does this act suggest about his relationship with Mia? Using examples from the story, make a case for Adam’s unconditional love for Mia. Is it possible to make the opposite case?
Gayle Forman is an award-winning, internationally bestselling author and journalist. She is the author of JUST ONE DAY and JUST ONE YEAR, the companion e-novella JUST ONE NIGHT, and the novel I WAS HERE, as well as the New York Times bestsellers IF I STAY and WHERE SHE WENT. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, with her husband and daughters.