Kokila (pronounced KO-ki-la) brings together an inclusive community of authors and illustrators, publishing professionals, and readers to examine and celebrate stories that reflect the richness of our world.
By centering stories that have been historically marginalized and making space for storytellers to explore the full range of their experiences, we deliver books that inspire and entertain readers, and add nuance and depth to the way children and young adults see the world and their place in it.
Kokila will publish work for children and young adults across all formats and genres.
We are no longer having an open submissions period. The Penguin Young Readers division has created the Emerging Voices & Visions program that hosts a free yearly live Zoom event for unpublished, early career writers and artists from historically marginalized communities to connect with editors. Going forward, our imprint will only accept submissions from attendees of this event. Learn more about when the next Emerging Voices & Visions event will be here: tinyurl.com/44sazdcb.
- THE EPIC FAIL OF ARTURO ZAMORA, MARCUS VEGA DOESN’T SPEAK SPANISH, and EACH TINY SPARK by Pablo Cartaya
- THE NIGHT DIARY by Veera Hiranandani
- STAND UP, YUMI CHUNG! by Jessica Kim
- THE FIRST RULE OF PUNK and STRANGE BIRDS by Celia C. Pérez
- FAUJA SINGH KEEPS GOING by Simran Jeet Singh and illustrated by Baljinder Kaur