Kokila (pronounced KO-ki-la) brings together an inclusive community of authors and illustrators, publishing professionals, and readers to examine and celebrate stories that reflect the richness of our world.
By centering stories that have been historically marginalized and making space for storytellers to explore the full range of their experiences, we deliver books that inspire and entertain readers, and add nuance and depth to the way children and young adults see the world and their place in it.
Kokila will publish work for children and young adults across all formats and genres.
We’re excited to hear from new voices and accept unagented submissions that fit our mission. This year’s window has been postponed to allow our team time to respond to all previous queries. We’ll update our website and social media when we plan to re-open in 2022. Priority will be with stories for and from marginalized communities.
- THE EPIC FAIL OF ARTURO ZAMORA, MARCUS VEGA DOESN’T SPEAK SPANISH, and EACH TINY SPARK by Pablo Cartaya
- THE NIGHT DIARY by Veera Hiranandani
- STAND UP, YUMI CHUNG! by Jessica Kim
- THE FIRST RULE OF PUNK and STRANGE BIRDS by Celia C. Pérez
- FAUJA SINGH KEEPS GOING by Simran Jeet Singh and illustrated by Baljinder Kaur